Fulford Parish Profile
About Fulford Parish
The Parish of Fulford in North Staffordshire is semi-rural and borders the southeast boundary of Stoke-on-Trent; it is four miles northeast of Stone and twelve miles north of Stafford.
The civil parish is one of the largest in Stafford Borough and includes four wards – Blythe Bridge (part is in Stafford Borough and part in Staffordshire Moorlands), Fulford (which includes Cross Gate, Moss Gate, Saverley Green, and Stallington communities), Meir Heath, and Rough Close - in all approximately 2600 dwellings with over 4700 electors.
The largest ward is Meir Heath with over 1600 electors, Blythe Bridge with 1500, Fulford with 1100, and Rough Close with 500.
Whilst a significant amount of housing is located in Blythe Bridge and Meir Heath, the parish is mainly rural with much located in the Green Belt of North Staffordshire.
Fulford has a public house in the heart of the village, its own actively supported Village Hall, a Primary School, Pre-School and an Anglican Church.
A football club uses a pitch on the edge of the village, and there are further public houses within walking distances.
In neighbouring Stallington Village, recreational facilities have been erected on and around the playing field at the heart of this recently expanded small community.
In the heart of Meir Heath there are local amenities such as convenience stores, a newsagent, church, and public house.
Two additional public houses are within walking distance of the centre.
Meir Heath and Rough Close Village Hall, extended in 2006/7 included the provision of an office for Fulford Parish Council and serves the local communities.
Adjoining it is the Parish owned Grindley Park where there are several items of children’s play equipment.
There is the large Primary School, accommodating almost 400 pupils.
Football and cricket clubs have pitches and facilities on the edge of the village.
Rough Close adjoins Meir Heath and also has a public house and access to a primary school.
Barlaston Common is a particularly important feature and is a designated Grade 1 Site of Biological Interest, and a Local Nature Reserve due to its mixture of heath, grassland and wooded habitat.
Blythe Bridge residents benefit from having their local Springcroft Primary School, and an array of shops with further facilities in the heart of the village that lies in the adjoining Parish of Forsbrook, within Staffordshire Moorlands.
Local amenities include the area High School, recently refurbished Library, shops, several public houses, and churches.
A small business site offers some local employment together with some other private enterprises.