Chapter 12 - Saverley Green




Saverley Green was originally known as Saley Green, which was derived from the nearby Sale Brook. In the centre of the hamlet is a plot of about 1.5 acres of common land known by everyone as ‘The Green’ which even today is surrounded by only about thirty houses.

On 20th November 1849, when the tithe map of Saverley Green was signed, there were just 13 habitable properties in the hamlet, and by the end of the 1800’s this number had grown to about 30.

The Saverley Green properties shown on the Fulford tithe map are:-

MAP SAVERLEY GREEN OCCUPIERS OWNERS
REF. PROPERTY DESCRIPTION NAME NAME
25 House and Garden In hand Joseph Stanier
31 House and Garden In hand George Young
32 Yard and Outbuildings In hand George Young
83 House and Buildings John Thomas William Milner
97 House and Garden George Heath John Kent
100 House and Garden Ininhabited Hannah Bullock
101 House and Garden Charles Stanier & others John Kent
108 House and Gardens In hand George Stanier
109 House and Gardens In hand Mary Stanier
113 House, Outbuildings and Garden Richard Jackson William Blurton
116 House and Garden In hand Dorothy Weston
127 House, Outbuildings and Garden In hand Charles Bromley
129 House and Garden (Greyhound) In hand John Kent
133 House and Garden William Bagnall Mary Stanier
134 House, Garden and Croft In hand Thomas Stanier

This tithe map of Saverley Green was produced by the author and is based on the original Fulford tithe map dated 20th November in Staffordshire Record Office.

There were two public houses in Saverley Green, the ‘Hare and Hounds’ now known as the ‘Greyhound’, and the ‘New Inn’ now known as ‘The Hunter’, both of which had been in existence since at least the early 1800’s, and both had the same customs of a ‘round of beef’ and ‘fig pie’ as the ‘Shoulder of Mutton’ in Fulford, though fig pies disappeared during the Second World War due to the shortage of figs.

In the ‘Greyhound’, even up to the 1950’s, it was still the custom for a barrel of beer to be ordered and consumed when a well-known villager was getting married, and anyone could call in and drink the health of the bride and groom free of charge.

By 1998 it had become a tradition for a spectacular bonfire based on a theme for the November 5th celebrations in the grounds of the ‘Greyhound’. Amongst the landlords and landladies of the Greyhound and the Hunter were:-

The New Inn (now ‘The Hunter’):-

John Weston 1834
Dorothy Weston 1851 to 1863
Ann Bagnall 1872 to 1876
Thomas Bagnall 1884 to 1904
John James 1921
Seymour V. Finn 1936 to 1940
Mark and Irene ? ?

(Placeholder) ‘The Hunter’ public house in 2002 – photograph by Roger Keight

The Hare and Hounds (now ‘The Greyhound’):-
(The Hare & Hounds was not recorded in 1860)

Edmund Kent 1876 to 1884
Mrs. Kent 1887 to 1890
Thomas Jackson 1896
Albert E, Hart 1904 to 1928
Brian S. Holt ? to the present

(P{laceholder) ‘The Greyhound’ in 2006 – photograph by Roger Keight

At the time of the 1881 census 24 habitable buildings were recorded housing 98 residents and there were 20 different surnames recorded, three of which were also recorded in Fulford, Bagnall, Bradley and Shaw:-

Bagnall Ellis Bailey
Fernyhough Blackhurst Hill
Bradley Hitchen Brassington
Jackson Buckley Kent
Cheatham Robinson Colclough
Shaw Docksey Stanier

Being a very small hamlet one would expect to find similar 'country' occupations represented amongst the inhabitants of Saverley Green as were to be found in Fulford, and indeed the 1881 census did record some of those occupations such as agricultural labourer, general labourer, farm servant, farm bailiff, farmer, shoemaker, and innkeeper. However it was a bit surprising to also find occupations in Saverley Green such as earthenware manufacturer, nail maker, rope maker, railway porter, plate layer.

Saverley Green was once famous for it’s cock fighting and in about 1850 the police made a raid but the participants managed to escape to a neighbouring house and so evaded capture. Both mains water and electricity reached Saverley Green in the 1930’s, about ten years before they reached Fulford.

Today, mystics Terry and Patricia Shotton live in Saverley Green. Patricia is convinced that a remote pond some miles across the fields to the west of the hamlet is of some mystical importance. Meanwhile, in the ‘Old Orchard’ is a well that is known as ‘the well of sacred blood’.

SUMMARY OF THE 1881 CENSUS RETURNS FOR SAVERLEY GREEN:-

... Coming into Saverley Green from Stallington and Lea Croft Hall ...

Note- Property number 24 is still the home of the Colclough’s, with a Mr.& Mrs. H.J.Colclough living there now

HEAD OF HOUSEHOLD AGE BORN HEAD'S OCCUPATION WIFE IN HOUSE
1 William Shaw 65 Rownall farm bailiff - 6
2 John Ellis 24 Barlaston china painter/potter - 2
3 William Docksey 40 Stoke farmer Esther 6
4 uninhabited
5 William Robonson 50 Longton earthenware manufacturer Charlotte 6
6 George Stannier 64 Stone general labourer Ann 5
7 Thomas Hill 49 Leek general labourer Emma 3
8 James Buckley 55 Worcester farmer Mary 8
9 uninhabited
10 Samuel Cheatham 45 Cheshire farm bailiff Mary 5
11 Samuel Jackson Jnr. 30 Stone general labourer Sarah 3
12 Samuel Jackson 66 Cheadle farmer - 5
13 John Kent 82 Stone gardener - 2
14 Thomas Brassington 62 Cheadle agricultural labourer Harriet 2
15 Edward Kent 40 Stone innkeeper (Hare & Hounds) Margaret 9
16 Thomas Bradley 26 Leek railway porter Lilian 4
17 Thomas Stanier 60 Stone plate layer (shop run by wife) Catherine 6
18 Philip Stanier 54 Stone shoemaker Martha 2
19 Joseph Stanier 55 Stone nail maker - 3
20 James Bailey 30 Seighford coachman Lucy 5
21 Charles Fernyhough 26 Longton gardener Ellen 2
22 Thomas Blackhurst 30 Tunstall earthenware manuf./farmer Mary 8
23 Thomas Bagnall 50 Leek innkeeper (New Inn) Hannah 7
24 John Colclough 44 Stone retired farmer Mary 9
25 William Jones 46 Burslem rope maker Anne 6
26 John Hitchen 39 Eccleshall general labourer Ann 4


... and then going to part of Fulford and then Rush Lade...

One of the better known buildings in Saverley Green is Saverley House Farm which is just to the north of Saverley Green, down a small lane which leads off from the sharp bend in the centre of the village. It is still a working farm. Among the past owners of Saverley House Farm were:-

William Shelley 1884 to 1890
William Robinson 1881 to 1904
John Harvey 1896
William Colclough 1928

On the road into Saverley Green from Fulford is a field in which a small area appears to be cut into terraces surrounded by a circle of trees. This area was known locally as ‘The Bear Holes’ and it is said that bears were once baited here and that dogfights were also held.


Top of page
Part 1, Chapter 11 INDEX PAGE Part 2, Chapter 13