Chapter 7 - History of Farms and Farmers in the Area



OLDE HOUSE FARM

Olde House Farm, with the butchers and abattoir on the left. Picture courtesy of The Potteries Museum & Art Gallery

Olde House Farm stands on the western edge of the village green. It is a fine old timber-framed 2-story double fronted residence with a jettied first floor on all four sides and was built in about 1580.

The front elevation of the building is very ornate and was a display of wealth. The ceilings are higher than many small Tudor buildings which suggest that the house was built as a gentleman’s residence.

The first written records appear to be of one member of the Bagnall family assigning the house to another member and so was probably a father handing it to his eldest son.

Then during the mid 1600’s a young woman came from Spot to be married to a member of the Bagnall family, bringing a dowry of £350 with her.

A few years later the Bagnalls started to buy many meadows, pastures, and arable land in and around Fulford and so Olde House became a farm, and continued this way until 1791 when Jeffrey Bagnall died.

He had borrowed and lost £1,000 and this meant that his family were forced to sell Olde House for £171, providing that the buyer allowed Bagnall’s widow to live in Olde House for a further year for a rent of one peppercorn and pay her £10 per year for the rest of his life.

It was probably at this time that the thatched roof was removed and replaced by a new tiled roof with a steeper incline. At the same time the first floor ceilings were raised to ten foot to gibve Georgian-style square rooms.

The stone building which adjoined the Olde House was added some time during the 1800’s and was used as a butchers and abattoir during the first half of the 20th century. It was knocked down in about 1970. At the front of the house is a spring-fed pond which has a small but deep area which was used to cool the milk in milk churns.

Olde House Farm ceased to be a farm in the mid 1960’s when Mrs. Edith Wilson died and reverted to being a family house again. Instead it now offers bed and breakfast accommodation.

Among the past owners of Olde House farm were:-

Thomas Sargent 1834 to 1888
Sarah Sargant 1849 to 1863
Thomas Smith 1896
Thomas Rushton 1896 to 1904 (butcher)
George Stubbs 1900 to 1904
Cyril Wilson 1936
Edith Wilson (Mrs.) 1940 to about 1965





FULFORD HALL (FARM)

Fulford Hall (Farm), Fulford

Fulford Hall Farm - Picture courtesy of Roger Keight

Fulford Hall is an 18th century red-brick country house of three stories yet having classical proportions and it stands next to St.Nicholas Church.

The front door is reached by climbing a flight of stone steps leading up from the courtyard.

The Hall itself has four windows in the south elevation and attic dormer windows in the hipped tiled roof.

The dining room is oak panelled and has a carved frieze, and the staircase is also made of solid oak.

The exterior of the building has stone plinths, a stone plat band, stone eaves cornice, and stone keystones. Many of the windows are still bricked up despite the fact that the ‘Window Tax’ was repealed in 1851.

A brick wall links the Hall to a brick gazebo which is also embellished with stone quoins, plinth and eaves and which has a pyramidal roof. Both the Hall and Garden House are listed buildings and in the 1970’s the house had to be treated to get rid of death watch beetles.

In 1973 Edwin Nash and his wife Betty worked the 250 acre farm, together with another 100 acres at Milwich. Fulford Hall Farm is still a working Farm.

Among the past owners were:-

Benjamin Finney 1849 to 1880
John Edmund Scarratt 1892 to 1908
Alfred Crichlow 1908 to 1929
A.Critchlow (Mrs.) 1929 (tenant)
James Brookes 1932 to 1960
Edwin John Nash 1960 to present






MANOR FARM

Manor Farm comprised 54 acres of land.

The farmhouse was located approximately where Highview Road joins Cherry Close. It was approached by a small lane that led uphill from the village green and was apparently raised to the ground in 1974/5 when the new housing estate was built by Fitzgerald Enterprises and D. L. Construction Ltd.

Among the past owners of Manor Farm were:-

Richard Philips 1834 to 1840 ?
John England 1834 to 1884
Joseph Ameson 1884
John Jenkinson 1896
Mary Jenkinson 1904
Wm Saxon (Mrs.) 1928
Thomas Allen 1849 ?
George Henry Proudlove (tenant) 1908 to 1912
Arthur Saxon 1946 to 1974





FULFORD MANOR (FARM)

Fulford Manor Farm

Fulford Manor Farm - Picture courtesy of Roger Keight

Manor Farm comprised 54 acres of land, the estate being “all that messuage or farmhouse and premises with the outbuildings and farm buildings and cottage thereto belong – also all the closes pieces or parcels of land adjoining or near thereto”.

Fulford Manor Farm is thought to stand on the site of Fulford Manor House of Adam de Fulford, who in 1327 was accused of trying with others to forcibly enter Trentham Priory in the name of the Earl of Lancaster, Thomas, Lord of the Manor of Newcastle.

It is close to the church, standing at what is effectively the entrance to Fulford Dale, located approximately where Highview Road joins Cherry Close.

In 1882 Thomas Allen bequeathed it in his Will to John Henry Peard Simkin who sold part of it to John Fincher Roberts Chanter in 1914.

It was part of the Stallington Estate until 1928.

John Chanter died in 1931, followed by John Simkin in 1942, and it was eventually bought by Arthur Saxon in 1946.

The farmhouse was approached by a small lane that led uphill from the village green and it was apparently raised to the ground in 1974/5 when the new 'Manor Farm' housing estate was built by Fitzgerald Enterprises and D. L. Construction Ltd..

Among the past owners of Fulford Manor Farm were:-

George Swift 1850 to 1863 ?
Charles Finney 1896 to 1904 ?
?. Lockett ?
Edward Pedley 1896 to 1904
Miss Emily Tams (tenant) 1940
James Brookes 1940 ?
Edward Baker (tenant) 1851 to 1876 (also Fulford Parish Clerk)
Edward B. Pedley (tenant) 1881 to 1936 ?
John Bedson 1928 to 1940
Norman Rushton Bedson 1940 to 1978
William Bedson 1950 to 1964
John Bedson 1964 to 2006 (also Fulford Parish Councillor)




BROOMS FARM

Brooms Farm appears to have been a small double fronted cottage and is situated in the lane that runs from Crossgate to Stallington, and appears to be named after the adjacent field known as ‘Brooms’ on old maps.

Brooms Farm is still a working farm. Among the past owners were:-

John Turner before 1840
William Dale 1840
John Fairbanks 1849 to 1850
Thomas Scarratt 1860 to 1868
Joseph Haynes 1872 to 1876
Samuel Challinor 1880
John Jenkinson 1881 to 1896
John Stanway Jenkinson 1896
Mary Jenkinson 1904 to 1908
Henry William Bullock 1936
Arthur Seabridge 1940
Joseph and Edith Fanny Heath 1946

In 1888 John Jenkinson held a fourteen year lease for which he paid a rent of £120 each Lady Day, and the net annual value of the farm and land was £96.




IVY HOUSE FARM

Ivy House Farm, which now stands derelict on the lane which runs from the village green to the church, is a small 2-story double fronted house which features flamboyant crenellated chimneys, elaborate stone lintels, and stone sills with pendant motiffs including triglymphs and shield shapes.

In the first half of the 20th century the farm was also a wheelwrights and coffin makers.

crenellated chimneys at Ivy House Farm Ivy House Farm

Ivy House Farm and its crenellated chimneys - pictures courtesy of Roger Keight

These crenellated chimneys on Ivy House farm fell to the ground during the winter of 2003.

Among the past owners of Ivy House Farm were:-

William Buxton 1834
Thomas Jenkinson 1849 to 1863
Mrs.Thomas Jenkinson 1876
Joseph Jenkinson 1876 to 1904
George Stubbs 1904
Bernard J. Jenkinson 1928
Ernest Stubbs 1940

It would appear that there was a second wheelwright’s business in Fulford as a John Cotton was wheelwright in 1818 and Samuel Cotton was a wheelwright at the same time as Thomas Jenkinson.

Three other wheelwrights were recorded in the 1881 census, John Ash, and James and Sampson Cotton.

It is possible that James and Sampson Cotton’s business was at Crossgate as a John Cotton had been wheelwright there in the early 1830’s.

Workers outside Ivy House Farm

Workers and carts outside Ivy House Farm. The writing on the cart says ‘R.Atkin, Lower Leigh, Staffs.’ Picture courtesy of Roger Keight




CROSSFIELDS FARM

Crossfields Farm is situated half way down Baulk Lane.

Among the past owners of Crossfields Farm were:-

Thomas Scarratt 1840 - 1849
Mrs.Jenkinson 1887
Mr. Jenkinson 1892 to 1896





FULFORD HOUSE FARM

Fulford House Farm

Fulford House Farm stands on the lower corner of Fulford Road and Long Lane in the Townend area of Fulford.

It is no longer a working farm but is two private residences, Fulford House and Fulford House Farm.



Fulford House Farm, 2006. Picture courtesy of Roger Keight

Among the past owners of Fulford House Farm were:-

Thomas Batkin 1834 to 1851
William Batkin 1840
Enoch Batkin 1860 to 1912
Thomas Hollins 1924
Vernon Holmes 1940





GREENSYTCH FARM

Greensytch Farm, 2006
Greensytch Farm, 2006. Picture taken by Roger Keight

Greensytch Farm stands at the end of Cockeshall Lane. It is still a working farm.

Among the past owners of Greensytch Farm were:-

Thomas Deavill Jnr. 1834 to 1880
Samuel Deavill 1849 to 1876
Richard Shermilt Beard 1881 to 1896
Henry Fieldhouse 1896 to 1916
Henry Fieldhouse (Mrs.) 1924 to 1928
Victor Fieldhouse 1932
Samuel Downes 1936 to 1940





BLACKLAKE FARM

Blacklake Farm stands at the top of Fulford Dale on the Stallington Road.. It is no longer a working farm.

Among the past owners of Blacklake Farm are:-

Edward Rushton 1887 to 1890
Frederick Copestake 1936 to 1940





FULFORD FARM (now known as ‘Rocklands)

Fulford Farm, now known as Rocklands, is a large 2-story double fronted house that stands at the top end of The Dale, the road which leads uphill from the village green and joins on to Post Office Terrace. Fulford Farm is no longer a working farm.

Among the past owners were:-

Thomas Sargent 1834 to 1884
William Jenkinson 1840 to 1849
Swift, George 1849 to 1863
Joseph Ameson 1884 to 1887
Mary Jenkinson (Mrs.) 1887 to 1904
John Jenkinson 1896
Emily Jenkinson (Miss) 1912
William Saxon (Mrs.) 1916 to 1928
Arthur Saxon 1928 to 1974
Emily Saxon (Mrs.) 1936 to ?
Thomas Hughes ? to ?
Cole (Mrs.) ? to ?
Malcolm Ward ? to ?

In 1888 John Saxon was paying an annual lease each Lady Day, and the net annual value of the farm and land was £69.

Fulford Farm, now known as Rocklands

"Fulford Farm" - now known as "Rocklands". Picture courtesy of Roger Keight




FULFORD DALE FARM

Fulford Dale Farm
Picture courtesy of Roger Keight

Fulford Dale Farm is situated on the north side of the Fulford to Blacklake road which runs through Fulford Dale. It is still a working farm.

Among the past owners of Fulford Dale Farm were:-

Philip Hyatt 1834
Benjamin Finney 1851 to 1880
John Fenton 1881 to 1884
Job Dawson 1884 to 1896
Mrs. Arthur Batkin 1904
Joseph Wetton 1904
Thomas Geoffrey Prince 1928 to 1940
Edward Thomas Wilde 1928 to 1940
Eric Wilde ? to present





LONG LANE HEAD FARM

Long Lane Head Farm stands near the end of Long Lane, just before Greensytch Farm. It is still a working farm.

Among the past owners of Long Lane Head Farm were:-

Richard Hall 1834
William Limer 1834
John Jenkinson 1851





OTHER FARMERS IN THE FULFORD AREA:-

There were numerous other farmers in the Fulford area recorded in various trade directories, although the name of the farm they worked is not recorded.

In Fulford itself between 1834 and 1940 fourteen such farmers were recorded.

John Bladon and Jesse Wooliscroft were farmers in Fulford in 1834 and Jesse was recorded as being a farmer there again in 1849.

Two years later in 1851 John Thomas was recorded as being a farmer there and he was followed in 1876 by Joseph Hutsby and William Jones, both of whom farmed somewhere in Fulford for at least a further ten years.

Then in the 1880’s William Rhodes, James Johnson, William Lockett, William Patrick, Emma Jenkinson, Elizabeth Jenkinson and Edward Williamson were also recorded as being farmers in Fulford, though Emma or Elizabeth may well have been the Mrs.Jenkinson who was recorded at Crossfields Farm in 1887.

Between 1896 and 1904 a Charles Finney was farming in Fulford and Harold Jenkinson who had been born in 1889 and lived in Vicarage Lane farmed there for most of his life. Harold is reputed to have been related to Sir Hill Child. Between 1936 and 1940 a Thomas Jackson Hughes was recorded as farming in Fulford.

In Crossgate seventeen such farmers are recorded during the same period of time, with Margaret Boulton and Thomas Brain both farming there in 1834.

Nathaniel Jackson’s name appears in the records in 1851 and then during the 1880’s the names of Thomas Wallis, Samuel Braine, John Jenkinson, Ephraim Brain, Richard Cheadle, John Lowe, James Allen, Thomas Till, and William Winfield were all on record.

They were followed in 1904 by John Allen, James Allerton, Joseph Arnold and John Cheadle, then in 1928 the name of Charles Nicholls appears, followed between 1936 and 1940 by Thomas Rushton.

In neighbouring Mossgate ten such farmers are recorded between 1834 and 1940, William Brain, Jane Love, and John Nicholls were all farming somewhere there in 1934 and they were followed first by George Rushton and Arthur Batkin whoses names appear in the records between 1860 and about 1900.

Thomas Jenkinson was also farming somewhere in Mossgate from 1876 to 1928. Also farming there through the 1880’s were James Mayer and John Jenkinson, with Richard and Frederick Jenkinson following them in the 1890’s.

It is possible that the Jenkinsons all worked at the same farm.

Finally, on record as farming in Mossgate in 1928 were William Brain and Alfred Matthews. Two more were recorded in Moss Lane, Arthur Batkin between 1860 and 1896, and his wife between 1896 and 1904.

In addition to farmers the records also occasionally show that there were cowkeepers, dairymen, and milk sellers in the Fulford area.

The cowkeepers are presumed to have been people who kept cows on land that was too small to be called a farm:

  • John Philips was a cowkeeper in 1876,
  • Thomas Rhodes was one between 1896 and 1904,
  • Harold Jenkinson was one between 1928 and 1940.

    Also in 1928 a man named Thomas Wild is recorded as being a milk seller in Fulford and the same year a Benjamin Fielding was recorded as being a dairyman in Mossgate.


    Top of page
    Part 1, Chapter 6 Index Page Part 1, Chapter 8