History Chapter 14 - Stallington




Stallington was once a minute hamlet one mile north-west of Fulford, belonging to Stone parish.

At the time of the 1881 census there were 12 households in Stallington housing 78 residents. These buildings included Stallington Hall (originally known as Stallington Grange), a fine red brick building standing in it’s own parkland and has extensive views over the surrounding countryside.

Stallington Hall was occupied by Sir Smith Child, Bart, his wife Sarah, daughter Elizabeth, and eleven staff in 1881. Smith Child’s ancestry can be traced back to a William Chylde who married Eardley in Audley in 1623 and who lived at Boyle’s Hall in Audley.

Smith Child himself was born in 1808 and married Sarah Hill in Fulford on 28th January 1835. He was M.P. for North Staffordshire from 1851 until 1859 and for West Staffordshire between 1868 and 1874. He was created a Baronet in 1868. He was noted for his philanthropy, his many gifts to churches and towards founding schools, and his generous contributions to the North Staffordshire Infirmary Building Fund.

He died on 27th March 1896, two years after his wife, and is buried at St. Nicholas in Fulford. His grandson Hill Child inherited the Baronetcy. In 1924 Sir Hill Child took an appointment in the King’s Household and so sold Stallington Hall to the City of Stoke-on-Trent who made it into a home for the mentally ill, both adults and children.

The Hill Child family were missed after they moved to London as they had done a lot of good work in the community, especially in connection with St. Nicholas Church and Fulford School, but they had also shown many acts of kindness during sickness in the village, giving gifts such as soup, coal, flannel and blankets.

Across the fields from Stallington Hall there was a large grey factory where aeroplanes were manufactured during World War 2. The German Air Force tried to bomb it several times, but without success.

Some 37 different surnames were included in Stallington in 1881:-

Adams Foster Morgan
Ainsworth Gallagher Pegg
Ash Greaves Phillips
Averill Haddows Rushton
Barber Hall Shaw
Boulton Hammersely Sherlock
Bowering Harvey Sims
Cartlidge Heath Smith
Chell Heaton Stillito
Child Hill Walklate
Cross Lowe Wilner
Egge Mear
Eyes Middleton

SUMMARY OF THE 1881 CENSUS RETURNS FOR STALLINGTON:-


HOUSEHOLD & HEAD AGE BORN HEAD'S OCCUPATION WIFE IN HOUSE
1 Charles Heaton 23 Endon solicitor (Stll’ton Grange) 9
2 Josiah Mellor 56 Leek agricultural labourer Ann 3
3 Thomas Berrisford 24 Leek farm servant Ann 4
4 Thomas Walklate 24 Stoke retired farmer Elizabeth 3
5 Adam Selliton 48 Cheadle retired farmer Elizabeth 2
6 Thomas Boulton 39 Stone agricultural labourer Mary 3
7 Thomas Sims 29 Horton agricultural labourer Elizabeth 3
8 Henry Averill 42 Cheadle farmer with 69 acres Ann 8
9 George Mear 56 Cheadle farmer with 95 acres widower 5
10 George Chell 37 Norton farmer Lucy 8
11 John Shaw 38 Stone farmer with 216 acres Ann 8
12 William Morgan 46 Burslem gardener Elizabeth 3
13 Smith Child 73 Tunstall Baronet (Stll’ton Hall) Sarah 14
14 John Foster 50 Kelsall farmer Ann 6

THE 1881 CENSUS RETURN FOR STALLINGTON HALL, STAFFORDSHIRE:-
(those people marked * are buried in St. Nicholas churchyard, Fulford)

Smith Child * head/Baronet DL & JP 73 born in Tunstall, Staffordshire
Sara Child * wife/Baroness 67 born in Stone, Staffordshire
Elizabeth S. Child daughter 39 born in Tunstall, Staffordshire
John Hammersley * servant/butler 55 born in Buglawton, Cheshire
Ann Hammersley * servant/butler’s wife * 67 born in Audlem, Cheshire
Henrietta Egg servant/ladies maid 30 born in Holstein, Germany
Sarah A. Pegg servant/cook 26 born in Etwall, Staffordshire
Mary E. Eyes servant/domestic 25 born in Grappenhall, Cheshire
Sarah E. Greaves servant/domestic 19 born in Colwich, Staffordshire
Louisa M. Lowe servant/domestic 20 born in Shiffnal, Shropshire
Ellen Hall servant/domestic 15 born in Freehay, Staffordshire
William Cross servant/footman 24 born in Gnosall, Staffordshire
Thomas Smith servant/coachman 38 born in Sutton Coldfield, Warws.
Thomas Smith * servant/groom & coach helper 15 born in Stone, Staffordshire

In addition, there were several farm buildings erected to serve Stallington Hall. These including Stallington Farm and *Stallington Hall Farm. (Both still standing today)

*Stallington Hall Farm was built in two phases during the 16th and 17th century. The original building, built in the 1500's, was used in the production of "Stallington Cheese", a type of smoked cheese. (Smokers and signs of its previous use are still evident in the property today - 2007)

Perhaps because of its early usage, some of the 1st floor structure in the older part of the house is of a lime-concrete construction, supported by large beams.

Sometime in the 1600's a further wing was added to the property, making it into an L-shaped building - half timber framed, half of a brick construction.

It is reported that the newer wing of the property was occupied by the Farm Manager, and that labourers lived in the older parts of the property, possibly even the loft. This is evidenced by original bell-wires, poultry/game hooks in the loft, and other such historical artifacts which are still obvious today.

It's unclear exactly when the property changed hands, but at some point it belonged to the Earl of Sutherlands Estate, one of the largest land-owners in Britain.

At some time - probably between 1750 and 1850 - the original building was converted into 3 individual cottages. On inspection of the exterior of the property there are tell-tale signs of where doorways have been created, or blocked up.

It is understood that the property was home to farm labourers working on the Sutherland estate, growing crops for the residents of Stallington Hall, and subsequently Stallington Hospital.

What we do know for certain is that Stallington Hall Farm, Stallington Farm, and the adjacent fields, were sold at auction in the mid 1970's, and that this land and its buildings were purchased by the Matthews Family.

Later, in 2003 Tim & Rosie Beasley purchased the property, renovated it, and still live there today.


Top of page
Part 1, Chapter 13 INDEX PAGE Part 1, Chapter 1