First and formost Fulford was a farming community, but it was also a fairly self-sufficient community and so many other occupations and trades existed in the area.
By refering to Kelly's 1834, 1851, 1860, 1863, 1876, 1884, 1896, 1904, 1928, 1936 and 1940 Trade Directories we find the following occupations:-
There has been at least one shop in Fulford since early in the 19th century until the end of the 20th century when the last village shop closed.
A William Jenkinson was recorded as being a grocer in Post Office Terrace in the 1830’s/1840’s and apparently he continued in business there until the beginning of the 20th century when his shop also became the post office.
In the 1870’s and 80’s three other shopkeepers were recorded in Fulford, Ralph Horton and George and John Maple, presumed to be brothers, though we don’t know whereabouts in the village their shops were.
Crossgate too appears to have had a shop during the 19th and early 20th centuries, the first shopkeeper on record being George Smith. Again, we have no record as to where the shop was.
George then appears to have been succeeded by William Abberley in 1851, and William’s daughter Elizabeth took over the business in about 1880 and ran it for a few more years until it was then taken over by Richard Fox.
He only ran the business for about ten years and then the Misses Mary and Alice Margaret Fox took over the shop and ran it until at least 1940.
There is also a record of a shopkeeper at Mossgate in 1834, a John Deavill, and a Mrs.Florence Elizabeth Stewart was a confectioner at Mossgate in 1940.
Three butchers are recorded in Fulford, in the 1870’s and 1880’s:
Richard S.Beard, who at one time also owned the ‘Shoulder of Mutton’,
Where they worked is not on record but it seems most likely that they worked at the butchers and abattoir that was attached to Olde House Farm.
Two butchers were recorded at Mossgate, William Cotton in the 1830’s and James Mayer in the 1880’s
SHOEMAKERS AND TAILORS
In 1818 there was just one shoemaker in Fulford, Joseph Hall, but by the early 1830’s there were three, William Watson, John Tunnicliffe, and Thomas Jenkinson, the last two continuing to make shoes in the village until the 1880’s.
There is no record of William Watson making shoes after the 1830’s, and in the 1850’s John Tunnicliffe also appears to have stopped.
During the 1860’s, 70’s and 80’s William Jenkinson appeared on the records as a shoemaker, as did Thomas Adderley, John Davis, Joseph Jenkinson, and George Rushton which meant that Fulford then boasted six shoemakers.
Only one record has been found of a tailor in Fulford in the 19th century, and he was a man by the name of Job Dunn who was working there in the 1830’s.
In the 1880’s an Elizabeth Jenkinson was recorded as a dressmaker.
At Crossgate Jonathan Witherington, and William Abberley were making shoes in the 1850’s and 60’s, and Daniel Crook started shoemaking there in the 1880’s.
There was also a tailor at Crossgate in the 1850’s, a William Moss, and in the 1940’s a Frederick Charles Middleton was a draper at Mossgate. It is presumed that these people worked from their homes.
With Fulford being so tied to agriculture there have obviously been blacksmiths in the area for centuries, but the earliest records found so far are for 1834 when William Fenton ran a smithy in Fulford, possible at the end of Post Office Terrace where a smithy is known to have stood.
A Henry Harris ran a smithy in at Moss’s Corner at the top of Broom’s Lane at Crossgate at the same time, but twenty years later the Fenton family appeared to run both smithys, with Edwin Fenton being the blacksmith in Fulford until 1896 and John Fenton being blacksmith in Crossgate, however he was succeeded by Richard Cheadle in 1880.
At the same time a second smith, William Winfield, seems to have joined Edwin Fenton.
At the beginning of the 20th century Frederick Alcock was the blacksmith in Fulford and he was followed by John Walchester who was the blacksmith there between about 1928 and 1940.
Simon Goodwin was the blacksmith at Crossgate in 1928.
Mary Potts on a pony outside what was once a shop and wheelwrights’s at Moss’s Corner. These buildings were demolished in the 1950’s. Photograph courtesy of Kath Tooth.
As with blacksmiths, there must have been wheelwrights in Fulford for centuries, and once again the first record found is from 1834 when a William Buxton was the wheelwright in Fulford, and a John Cotton was the wheelwright at Crossgate.
There is no record of wheelwrights in Crossgate after that date, but in Fulford in the 1850’s and 1860’s two new wheelwrights are recorded, Samuel Cotton and Thomas Jenkinson.
At the time of the 1881 census John Ash was the wheelwright in Fulford but from then on Joseph Jenkinson appears to have been the only wheelwright there until about 1910/1920.
He was followed by Bernard J. Jenkinson who appears to have been the last wheelwright in Fulford and who practiced until about 1930.
NAILMAKER / WOODRANGER / STONEMASON
There were one or two other occupations in and around Fulford during the 19th and 20th century.
Thomas Stanier for instance was a nailmaker in Fulford in 1834 and Thomas Jenkinson was a stonemason in Fulford at the time of the 1881 census.
Also to be found in the 1881 census returns is a William Gimbert who was a wood ranger in Fulford at that time, and in the 1890’s and artist by the name of W. Smith was living somewhere in Fulford